June 25, 2021
On Wednesday, June 16, 2021, Karen Littlewood, Harvey Bischof, members of staff, along with a few OSSTF/FEESO members, had a follow-up meeting with the Ontario Alliance of Black School Educators (ONABSE) to discuss a donation and partnership with the organization pending from September 2020.
During this meeting, the following list of demands was communicated by ONABSE as a condition to accept the $5000 donation offered by OSSTF/FEESO. This donation was originally discussed in September 2020 and was meant to support the work of ONABSE and the students, educators, families, and communities that they serve. A deadline of Wednesday, June 30 was given to respond to their demands listed below.
- OSSTF/FEESO to assemble provincial committee for the purpose of dismantling anti-Black racism and intersectional oppression.
- OSSTF/FEESO to hire a minimum of four paid organizers for dismantling anti-Black racism and intersectional oppression throughout the union.
- OSSTF/FEESO assigns a dedicated budget line in the provincial budget specifically for supporting local districts in the dismantling of anti-Black racism and intersectional oppression.
- OSSTF/FEESO issue a public apology (sent to the entire membership via email or website to the membership) to the Black and racialized OSSTF/FEESO members based on the racial abuse and disrespect shown toward them during AMPA 2021.
- OSSTF/FEESO pays the annual membership fee for Black OSSTF/FEESO members who would like to join ONABSE and that ONABSE becomes a community stakeholder in partnership with OSSTF/FEESO to support ongoing issues connected with anti-Black racism.
The following additional donations/sponsorships have been accepted by ONABSE from OSSTF/FEESO during the 2020-2021 Federation year:
- Sponsorship of 14 OSSTF/FEESO members who self-identify as Black or racialized to attend the April 23–24 Annual ONABSE Conference, Career Fair, and Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Free publication of ONABSE’s full page ad in the spring edition of Education Forum OSSTF/FEESO will continue to work in partnership with community stakeholders in education.
However, we are accountable to our members and therefore will not respond to demands or enter into negotiations with external organizations.
Please contact your Provincial Executive liaison if you have any questions.
Karen Littlewood, President; Paul Caccamo, Vice-President; Martha Hradowy, Vice-President; Jeff Denys, Treasurer; Hayssam Hulays, Executive Officer; Malini Leahy, Executive Officer; Colin Matthew, Executive Officer